So I’ve got this lovely table that I want to turn into an attractive, functional dog bed for Hazel, the 10 pound miniature schnauzer.
First thing I did, after giving it a good scrub down with some Spic & Span, was to remove the doors.
I briefly toyed with the idea of leaving them on so that I could close them up when I wanted to hide the dog bed from company, but decided that anyone who was invited to my house who had a problem viewing my dog’s bed, well they could just suck it. Get over yourself.
Next step was to sand off all of the varnish. In order for the new paint to “stick” and not “slide off”, I needed to get rid of all the shiny surfaces. When I was done doing that, the side table was even uglier than when I started if you could imagine.
For anyone who’s interested, I used my Dremel, as well as some hand sanding on the moulding, and the little bun feet.
Now, time to start making it look pretty. First I gave it a coat of primer, to cover up the original dark walnut finish.
Next, I filled I filled in the holes left after I removed the door hinges using some sandable wood putty.
I put three coats of paint on the outside, a Valspar paint with satin finish called Dreamy Caramel (yum!) and three more on the inside, a Behr paint with glossy finish called Vanilla Custard (double yum!). I had the interior paint left over from the trim in our sitting room, which is why it has a gloss finish.
Yeah baby! Now we’re getting somewhere!
One last addition…when I saw the beautiful four paneled interior on the cabinet, I wanted to highlight it with some wallpaper. I shopped around for wallpaper and realized that, holy crap, wallpaper is super expensive. Plan B was to buy some fabric and Mod Podge it to the walls. Here are the results…
I purposely chose this ultra feminine fabric that resembles a vintage wallpaper design.
OK, moving on to the cushion. I went to my local Joann store and spent a ridiculous amount of time hemming and hawing over all the choices and came up with these three fabrics…
The paint chip at the top is the Valspar Dreamy Caramel that I used on the exterior of the cabinet. I should note that I actually chose the paint color after I picked out the fabrics. I do this whenever I have the option because its a lot easier than matching fabrics to paint.
I made a template of the inside of the cabinet using a pieced-together sheet of paper. Just lay it inside the cabinet then crease it along the bottom corners. Take it out, cut along the crease lines then try it out and trim if necessary.
I had made a few box cushions before, but just sort of “winged it”. This time, I went on Pinterest and found a great tutorial that I used for this one. It was at Design Sponge, and it was by Amanda Brown. You can find it here…
Initially, I wanted to get a foam cushion, and cut it to shape, then cover it. I found however that the hexagonal shape made it difficult, and to get the thickness I wanted it would cost a freaking fortune. So I went with a fiberfill stuffing instead.
I made my own bias strips using the plaid fabric then sewed the welting for around the edges of the cushion like so…
And, here is the completed cushion…
Not too shabby!
I made a couple of extra cushions for the sides, because Hazel likes to sleep in a corner, then added a little extra decor and Voila! Completed doggie bed!
That’s it for my very first tutorial. I hope you enjoyed it and found it helpful. I think that there is a way to “follow” my blog so that you will get an email when I add any additional posts. If you can figure it out, please do.
Thanks for reading!
Update! The puppy has started settling in with us. When we first got her, she was only 2 pounds 11 ounces, but she goes to the vet tomorrow and we expect big things.
The two dogs have been getting along well and much to my surprise, are sharing the dog bed. They take turns, as all civilized dogs should. When Violet is a bit older, and when I get a chance, I might make a second dog bed, but for now, we are all good.